If you are prepared and you already have a good set of jumper cables in your car, all you need to know is how to jump start your battery. We’ve compiled a list of 9 simple steps to help get your car back on the road if this ever happens to you.
How to Jump a Car Battery
- Once both cars have been parked close together, turn off both vehicles and make sure the parking brake is engaged.
- Open the hood to both cars, and locate the batteries (refer to the owner’s manual for instructions) and the battery terminals. Usually, the two terminals on each battery will be covered in red or black, with a + or – sign on top. Now, begin attaching the jumper cables.
- Attach one of the red cables to the positiveterminal on the dead battery. It will say “POS” or “+” to help you identify it. Attach the other red cable to the positive terminal in the working car.
- From working car’s battery, attach one of the black cables to the negative terminal. It will be labeled “NEG” or “-”.
- Attach the final black clip to an unpainted metal surface under your hood. This helps prevent sparking.
- Start the working vehicle and let it run for a few minutes. The more “dead” your battery is, the longer you may need to charge it from the working car.
- Try to start your vehicle. If it doesn’t start, continue running the other car for a few more minutes.
- If your vehicle does start, don’t turn it off. Remove the cables in the REVERSE order that you put them on (Black – dead battery, Black – good battery, Red – good battery, Red – dead battery).
- Drive around for at least 15-30 minutes to make sure your battery gets fully charged back up.
Are you in the market for a reliable used vehicle? As a premier buy here, pay here dealership in Hampton Roads, The Auto Connection helps people in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Richmond, Eastern Shore, Smithfield, Chesapeake and Newport News, VA get the financing they need to drive away in a quality used car, truck, SUV or van. Find out how easy it is to get a quality pre-owned vehicle of your own with buy here, pay here financing from The Auto Connection.Get the approval process started from home with our easy online application.